View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 02:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
chong

Zone: 8-9
Name: Chong
BananaBucks : 97,051
Said "Thanks" 1,309 Times
Was Thanked 1,701 Times in 758 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 991 Times
Default Re: Miracle Gro all purpose plant food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Be careful about adding a water-soluble fertilizer when you already have slow-release in the ground. Depending on which manufacturer and formula of water soluble -- it can cause the slow-release to be released all at once right then. I've seen examples of terrible plant death from this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdsinsacto View Post
Richard,

I have 3 new young bananas purchased from justin's divorce sale here. I potted all three last Friday with some Oscomote time release in the potting mix.

If not water-soluble fertilizer, what should I feed the baby banana plants, how soon, and how often?

God forbid I murder them before the month is out.

I have them in partial light shade right now, we're hitting temps in the high 90s in Sacramento this week.

I
mjd,
Richard qualified his statement with "when(if) you already have slow-release (fertilizer) in the ground (or potting soil)", then it would be risky to feed your plant with water soluble fertilizers. That would be like doubling up on the fertilizers. Hence, if you do not have the slow-release fertilizer in the soil, fertilize as you would normally. But, anyway, for new transplants, I would not fertilize them outright. I would use a transplanting solution after transplanting, but just water normally thereafter until the plant puts out strong leaves before resuming with a regular fertilizing schedule.
chong is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To chong
Said thanks: