View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Nicolas Naranja
Muck bananas

Zone: 10
Name: Nick
BananaBucks : 460,456
Said "Thanks" 66 Times
Was Thanked 5,663 Times in 1,562 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 7 Times
Send a message via AIM to Nicolas Naranja
Default Fhia-2 and FHIA-17, FHIA,23

This is mainly a question for other south Floridians but what has been your experience with these 2 varieties? I am moving in about a month and will take on the task of planting bananas at my new house. My current house has Sigatoka infested D. Cavendish and I wouldn't wish the issues(cigar end rot, battles with black sigatoka and severe choking) I've had with them on anyone else let alone myself. I am thinking about planting all three varieties to see how they do, but I have seen and read some disconcerting comments about all of those varieties.

Fhia-2 is supposedly a Williams cross and I imagine it would look similar to other cavendish varieties but all the pictures of the fruit I have seen are really small (2"-4"). A plus with this variety is that I can get a large quantity of it from Agristarts.

Fhia-17 is Highgate cross and the idea of growing this variety intrigues me. All the bunches I have seen of it are enormous and I think it would be a good compliment to the Gran Nains that I have in the field a few miles up the road. I read that it was susceptible to choking which would be a bad deal for me.

Fhia-23 is another Highgate cross but I have seen poorer reviews of it. I guess it just doesn't grow very quickly, furthermore it seems to be a lot harder to come by.

So if you have pictures of the bunches from South Florida I'd like to see them and I'd also like to know how big the fruits get.
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors