View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 01:17 AM   #24 (permalink)
harveyc
Been nuts, gone bananas

Zone: 9b
Name: Harvey
BananaBucks : 258,769
Said "Thanks" 6,024 Times
Was Thanked 4,453 Times in 1,894 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,785 Times
Default Re: Headed to Nicaragua

Benny, I am quite certain that this family does not miss McDonald's. But I can assure you, they were not at all happy with their living conditions. They had asked for help and we are now providing it. I'd like to be able to go there to help build a better house but I was told that's probably not very wise (safe). In heavy rains, the floor of this house turns to mud as rain runs down the hill and through their house. But they were very happy to have visitors interested in hearing about their family.

Another girl we ended up sponsoring is part of a family of four that has rented a back patio to live on for the past eight years. They see people living in real houses and would like to have one of their own, but mostly need help for food and school clothing.

One older grandmother we visited along with her 14 year old grandson who was already being sponsored was delighted with our visit. The boy's parents were both dead and the grandmother was a widow and she did laundry to help provide for their needs. She told us that we had brought honor to her home with our presence. This brought a big lump to my throat.

We will be going back, though we don't know when.