Thread: Terminoligy
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #33 (permalink)
momoese
Banana grower

Zone: zone 10
BananaBucks : 12,970
Said "Thanks" 3,747 Times
Was Thanked 10,887 Times in 3,310 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 728 Times
Default Re: Terminoligy

So to get back to the point of this thread.
Quote:
The problem is one of confusion of terminology between agricultural and chemical disciplines.
I state that I grow all organically without the added addition of chemical or synthetic ferts or pesticides. You in your classic nit picking fashion reply that I am applying chemical, 2% to be exact. You know damn well that I do not apply anything other than "natural" organic materials in the classic sense of the word, in other words the agricultural common sense version of the word. I also choose not to use slurry or sewage. You know what I'm saying as does everyone else, but you seem to be the only person who has a problem with me saying I grow organically without knowingly adding any chemical or synthetic products. You choose to pick it apart using the chemical language that does not apply to the discussion just to support your agenda which is to further confuse people about, and discredit the word organic. I could care less about the word itself, come up with a word that better describes what I'm doing, legitimize the word so that other people know what it means and I'll use it. "Gardening" does not suffice, sorry but we all do that, only using different methods of caring for the soil and the plants.

Quote:
Definitions of organic fertilizer on the Web:

organic: a fertilizer that is derived from animal or vegetable matter
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Naturally occurring organic fertilizers include manure, slurry, worm castings, peat, seaweed, sewage, and guano. Green manure crops are also grown to add nutrients to the soil. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_fertilizer

A fertilizer made of natural materials that undergoes little or no processing and includes plant, animal, and/or mineral materials.
Glossary of Garden and Botanical Terms

fertilizers that do not contain any chemicals or synthetic compounds.
mygardenguide.com/index2.php

material of animal or plant origin containing one or more fertilizer nutrients, usually not all immediately available to plants (eg in the form of ...
citizenship.yara.com/en/resources/glossary/index.html

Fertilizer made from natural substances rather than chemicals. Examples of organic materials include compost (excellent!), alfalfa, blood meal, fish emulsion, manure, bone meal, and kelp.
glossary of rose terms at gardenmob.com, using color in the garden.

means substances made up of one or more unprocessed material (s) of a biological nature (plant/animal) and may include unprocessed mineral ...
dacnet.nic.in/cfqcti/lst9.2defiterm.htm

Organic material such as animal manure, green manure, and compost, applied to cropland as a source of plant nutrients. ...
chs.tvusd.k12.ca.us/~kmcfadden/Chapter%2010%20Vocabulary%20List.doc
momoese is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To momoese
Said thanks: