View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 07:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
damaclese
Living in Exile

Zone: 9 Mediterranean climate
Name: Paulo
BananaBucks : 283,270
Said "Thanks" 1,352 Times
Was Thanked 1,620 Times in 706 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 101 Times
Default Re: Can anyone tell what's wrong with my Ensete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerandjosh View Post
I do have dogs but don't know if he would be urinating on this particular one (I have three right together planted side by side) and don't think he was able to urinate on them when they were in their pots. They were fenced off from the bananas and I really don't know if he could reach lol. I don't think it's over fertilization because really I need to fertilize them more and grow into a good pattern of fertilizing. I have fertilized them about 3 weeks ago with Miracle Gro Nursery Select All Purpose Plant Food Triple 10. I didn't measure how much, just gave them a good soaking; like I said I need to learn to be more precise with all this stuff. I was planning on fertilizing again tonight, I wasn't sure if every two weeks would be okay. What do you use? How often and how much if you don't mind me asking?

Also about the weed barrier - I didn't know they didn't like having it!? I've never read or heard that weed barrier would hurt them...How do people keep the grass off of them because I've read that they shouldn't have grass within 3 feet diameter of them. So is it okay to have weed barrier, just not right around the base, maybe a couple of inches away? Or should I just try to keep up with pulling the grass around them everyday? And absolutely no mulch? I've never read about that either...dang it seems I am clueless about all this banana stuff haha and I thought I was doing kinda good getting them grow at least a little bit. lol Thank you so much for your help, sorry for the response with a ton of questions, I just like having answers and if people are willing to help I might as well ask Thanks again for all the help, I appreciate it very much.
its not that you are clueless. not many people would agree with me on how to care for Ev's iv just made it my life's mission to learn every thing there is to Know about them
the mulch thing i learned the hard way (thats only for EV)and also about them being rot sensitive i killed a bunch before i figured out what i was doing wrong
I use K-Mag you can get it from Richard i don't know any were ells its powerful stuff i use about 1tsp per gal every 4 weeks some times i have to Waite longer i just watch the plants and see how they respond i don't have grass so its hard to say but id pull the weed barrier back at least 12"give that corm some room to dry out. i could talk EV all day but all stop here did that answer your questions?

PS if you want to know how to grow any plant find out were its from and what its like there then make it as close to that place as possible

Last edited by damaclese : 08-27-2009 at 08:01 PM.
damaclese is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To damaclese