View Single Post
Old 12-17-2006, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
dragr13

BananaBucks : 20,853
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default New plants in the winter...?

I've had my musa acuminata 'super dwarf' since a little before last winter. i kept the plant in the pot for the entire winter and didn't fertilize at all, not knowing any better, and though it did not seem to really like it, it really took off when it got warm again, and grew like a champ all season, even though i never even took it outside.

now that i know a little bit about what i'm supposed to be doing with this plant, i'm wondering if i can leave it in its pot again this winter or if i need to dig it up and overwinter it in a cool room. should i do this? and if i do, how much of the corm should be removed?

also, i just ordered 4 new bananas:

1 - Misi Luki
1 - Dwarf Cavendish
1 - Mona Lisa
1 - Raja Puri

any advice anyone can give me on keeping these for the rest of the winter, planting (in pots or in the ground, i think i'll go two and two and get some practice with each) come spring, and feeding all year round i would really appreciate.

i've gotten some great advice from this site, really appreciate everyone's taking the time to help out the new guy!

thanks!
dragr13 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To dragr13

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors