View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
sbl

Zone: 8/9
BananaBucks : 65,657
Said "Thanks" 177 Times
Was Thanked 731 Times in 395 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 154 Times
Default Re: The best thing you can do for your garden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty in Wisc View Post
I do the exact same thing here & my garden is about the best around here. I keep a bucket in the kitchen for coffe grounds, potato peelings etc & dump it in a garbage cart with holes drilled in it. I bungee the lid down & roll it around to mix. When I dump it in garden I see it steaming in fall.
Well written Bob, but then to be followed with THIS! Hope no one is discouraged from using compost or manure. It IS black gold.
I don't think anyone has said that compost and manure is bad--and not to put words in Richard's mouth, but what I think he was trying to do is point out the falacy of those that believe that chemical salts are "evil". The same chemical salts that are found in fertilizer are in or are created as compost or manure breaks down. There can be harmful chemical in manures--depending on where and when you get it, but I would just advise to be aware and be careful of your source (if you are trying to totally avoid harmful chemicals).

Me--I would take any manure if it were available free and convenient--most of the chemicals that might be there would breakdown in the process of composting.
sbl is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sbl
Said thanks: