View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Bama Banana
Bama Banana

Zone: 8a
Name: Bama Banana
BananaBucks : 34,440
Said "Thanks" 7 Times
Was Thanked 120 Times in 25 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Welcome To My Tropics (Warning: Lots Of Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
That's great though. Nothing you can do about the freak 20/30 year events. But with those average lows, you have done very well. I saw some palms were in pots so you can just bring them in if something bad happened. What surprised me was the Royal Palm.

I want one too (royal palm), but I was just thinking what I can do when it's too tall to cover. Every few years or so here we can have a hard freeze down to 25.. Typically the yearly low is around 30F or slightly below. You going to try freezepruf this year?
Yes I am going to try FreezPruf. I think that was developed here in Alabama.

You know, established Royals can probably take occasional temps in the high 20s...but with severe leaf burn. I have seen posts of several Royals growing unprotected in the Houston TX area. Of course they don't see temps as cold as here at my place.

Hey I would have really liked to have seen what the Royal would have done this year if it had started with some foliage! The protective cover I built for it collapsed due to high winds in January, while I was a away on a business trip. It and several other plants were exposed to temps in the 20s for a few nights...but everything lived.