View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 10:39 PM   #101 (permalink)
supermario
Banana brain

Zone: 10A
Name: Mario
BananaBucks : 59,763
Said "Thanks" 251 Times
Was Thanked 348 Times in 139 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 4 Times
Default Re: Oil and Water.(Conventional vs. Organic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbl View Post
But mulch alone will not supply the nutrition needed for most plants. My blueberries are a good example of the problem here--my blueberries have a thick layer of mulch--at least 6 inches and I apply a new layer of several inches a yr. I also apply a little ammonium sulfate at bloom time and normally again in June (about 2 oz per tree) . This yr I ran out before I could make the June application--Ace Hardware was out as well, so I was not able to make the June application before the mid season growth spurt--the new growth is very yellow--the mulch has lost all of it's nutritional value.
Seems VERY similar to my Jaboticaba trees. Imagine...they are native to Brazil of all places...probably some of the most fertile soil on earth! My jaboticaba trees have several inches of mulch while all my other trees(other than banana) have the mulch no closer than 1 FT from the trunk. Anyways....

MY comparisson may be out of line since blueberries come from up north...but, we are both attempting to grow things out of our natural area... so kudos to us right?

I tried growin 'Navajo' blackberries and did not like the taste as opposed to store bought berries. I figured it's because the variety I had was made to grow in my area, not for it's taste, but for it's ability to survive... So, How do you like your blueberries compared to store bought ones?

Be honest now!

Last edited by supermario : 08-23-2009 at 10:49 PM. Reason: lots of spelling errors
supermario is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To supermario