View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 02:34 PM   #171 (permalink)
maesy

BananaBucks : 31,055
Said "Thanks" 18 Times
Was Thanked 108 Times in 43 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Time to put the bananas to sleep for the Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Daw View Post
I can't help but think, that Frank's (bigdog) way is probably the easiest and most efficient. No rotting, no air ventilation problems...
Since I'm in the zone where I need to plan overwintering, not just leave bananas outside, I will try next winter both methods, when I have enough bananas and enough spare ones.
I'll let you know then.
Frank's method of storing the pseudo stems in the basement over winter was also my motivation to do so, three years ago.
I did it this way with different varieties. Such as ice cream, misi luki, FHIA-18, cardaba, sikkimensis.
Then I was told as lower the room temperature as better. I kept them in my garage at 2 to 5 degrees Celsius. They all rot, except the sikkimensis.
A year later I did the same with dwarf orinoco and dwarf brazilian, but at 8 - 10 degrees Celsius. They came through with even a bit of a green leaf.
The problem with this method in my opinion is, that they take too long to get back a good root system. At least in my climate.

Now, I have a dwarf brazilian and a dwarf orinoco planted out in a iron basket. When the growing season is over, I will dig out the basket and put it in a dark room of my basement at 10 degrees without water for 5 - 6 month. I'd like to leave at least three leaves on them.

What do you guys think about it?
Has anybody else made any experience with over wintering musa dwarf brazilian in the basement?

Marcel
Said thanks: