Thread: howd'ya do
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 01:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
chong

Zone: 8-9
Name: Chong
BananaBucks : 79,478
Said "Thanks" 1,270 Times
Was Thanked 1,668 Times in 747 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 943 Times
Default Re: howd'ya do

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypickle View Post
Boy, sure hope so. I may need some information now already. I think I might have poisoned my bananas maybe. I found a website that said I should feed my banana plants with a high phosphate fertiliser, so i did. [10 54 10] Then, I found another website that says that i should feed them a high POTASSIUM fertiliser. Who's right. have i killed my nanners with kindness? perplexed
Mari,
With bananas, the Potassium(K) component should be the highest, followed by half as much Nitrogen(N), then 1/4 as much Phosphorus (P), i.e., 2-1-4 (N-P-K). Those are the ideal proportions. There are many fertilizers that come close. I use soluble fertilizers that have 15-10-30(Peters®) and 15-8-27(Champion®). I use these for maintenance of tropical plants. When the plants are young, I use 30-10-10 (Miracid®) for stronger growth. I believe that for tropical fruit plants, the Phosphorus level should not exceed the Potasium level.

There is a granular fertilizer from Home Depot under the brand of "Vigoro" called "Citrus and Avocado Plant Food"(10-4-10) that I picked up on sale for $6/10-lb. bag, the last time I was in Calif. I had to put 1 bag in each of my 2 carry-ons, and I got questioned at the airport because of the OK scare thing. But they let it thru.

Hope this helps.

Chong
chong is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To chong
Said thanks: