View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
gman68558

BananaBucks : 6,061
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Need advice on pup management...

Mike, regarding the type, it's a "Banana Plant" lol. That's what the tag said at my local nursery and they weren't sure what it was other than it would grow about 6-8'. My guess is Dwarf Cavendish. The smaller one is a Raja Puri I got online from a reputable nursery so at least I know for sure what that one is.

I did already take one pup a couple of months ago with success so it's not like I need to repot to do it. I just thought since I'm going to be repotting I might as well take the big pup at the same time since I will really be able to see what I'm doing (i.e. make sure to get some of the mother corm, roots, etc.).

Thanks for the advice. I'll leave the two smaller pups for now and just take the bigger one.

I'm planning on repotting into one of those 24" metal drink tubs. Do you think that's a big enough container to hopefully have it fruit in? I was surprised to find those things are only 18 gallons - I would have guessed more. The root system for bananas seems fairly shallow so I was thinking width is probably more important than depth in a container.
gman68558 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To gman68558