View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jack Daw
I think with my banana ;)

Zone: Dfa (Köppen-geiger) <-> 7b/8a? (USDA)
Name: Jack
BananaBucks : 209,275
Said "Thanks" 2,771 Times
Was Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,355 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 383 Times
Default Turkish wildly growing banana wants to be IDed, probably a Musa 'French Plantain'?

Hi friends,
I was give one pup (sometime ago) that is somewhat different than anything I have at my disposal now. It is a a pup from a plant, that my friend acquired during his travels (Middle East). This particular naner grows wildly in the semideserts and also irrigated areas of various Turkish regions, so I estimate that its cold-hardiness (natural) is zone 8b or 9a. Its name here (and there) is Musa paradisiaca and I don't want to mislead you, but I think it could be the famous Musa 'French Plantain' cultivar (but I need a positive ID though).

The plant is quite tall (not like IC, but taller than dwarves), it has green-brown P-stem with only a few black p-stem splotches/spots (like Cavedish varieties).
Its leaves are solid green, but the petiole and (usually) the back side (sometimes also the upper side) of the petiole is pinkish (not red, purple or brown).
Young plants don't have the typical spots in the leaves (like SDC, DC and so many other cultivars), to be honest, its leaves don't really change color during the entire maturation process at all.
They are always just solid light green.
Its fruit is completely seedless, but there are small undeveloped seeds inside each fruit (in my gallery, see the lengthwise cross-section of a banana labelled as Musa (x) paradisiaca).

It grows (and thrives) in semi arid terrains, well draining sandy soils and hot/warm summer climates. There's no browning, wilting or anything saying that it would like more humid conditions.

To help you better id this peculiar naner, I should maybe post a pic of the flower:

Thanks for your help.

Zeitgeist - Corporatocracy 101 (~2hrs)

Zeitgeist - Moving Forward (~2.5hrs)
Jack Daw is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Jack Daw
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors