View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 11:52 PM   #39 (permalink)
momoese
Banana grower

Zone: zone 10
BananaBucks : 11,986
Said "Thanks" 3,747 Times
Was Thanked 10,885 Times in 3,309 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 728 Times
Default Re: Oil and Water.(Conventional vs. Organic)

SBL, it may not be what ingredients are individually responsible for the toxicity, likely the combination of ingredients that create the problem. Mostly the surfactants such as polyoxyethyleneamines (POEA) (which by themselves are said to be more toxic than Glyphosate) are mentioned along with a few other ingrediants. The exact ingrediants are not known.

Quote:
The ingredients responsible for the increased potency of Roundup formulations seen in this study – as compared to purified glyphosate – remain unknown. The chemical formulas of herbicide additives are generally protected as trade secrets, and the researchers did not try to chemically identify them. Therefore, their effects cannot be easily investigated and they remain undetected in the environment.
Acording to UC Berkeley, In California, glyphosate is the third most commonly-reported cause of pesticide related illness among agricultural workers. I have yet to find the data for this but I'm still looking.

Then there is this.
Quote:
New Study Links World's Biggest Selling Pesticides to Cancer
Swedish Study Finds Exposure to Glyphosate and MCPA Increases
Risk for Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma
7-Misc: Swedish study shows links between glyphosate and cancer

It's really bad for amphibians. There is plenty of data on that.
http://www.pitt.edu/news2009/Roundup.pdf

The only actual human tests that I know of were conducted in Japan and resulted in deaths and suicides from direct ingestion of the product. How they got people to drink it is beyond me.
momoese is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To momoese
Said thanks: