View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 12:11 AM   #71 (permalink)
permaculturekidd

Zone: Zone 9b
Name: Lee
BananaBucks : 12,414
Said "Thanks" 3 Times
Was Thanked 19 Times in 7 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: "Organic" Fertillizer

What ever happened to just watering it every so often; to throwing a carp or a fish head under some roots or focusing more intensively over a smaller area then spreading yourself thin?

I say this constantly; learn to grow different food! Get plants that are completely self-reliant like tree crops, perennial vegetables, and fruit shrubs. Things that with enough intercropping and time will completely grow up fruitfully and healthy.

I live in old orchard country; acres of old abandoned trees fruiting every year produce bountiful harvests ('cept the crazy branch growth caused by pruning is a problem getting them). Brambles of black berries taking over the creeks in the spring, summer, and fall; Oak trees decades old producing more and more as time goes by; doing just fine without people.

Why not tap into those resources ?

Won't it leave meadows for grains and grazing; maybe grow a few bananas for personal or occasional market use but not a plantation. Get acid loving, drought tolerant/resistant, self fertilizing, native, and/or frost tolerant resistant plants which will feed generations with limited input and great output.

Three sisters in the hot dry infertile Arizona desert has does just fine for centuries; no need for compost, fish meal, or seaweed emulsion. Good ole' nitrogen fixing beans and an active amount of microbes and fungi working with the roots and soil to create some of the best produce ever (or so I've heard from a good friend who lived in the Southwest for some time)
permaculturekidd is offline   Send A Private Message To permaculturekidd
Said thanks: