Thread: Queso Fresco
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
lorax
Banned

Zone: USDA 13 / Köppen-Geiger BSh
Name: Lorax
BananaBucks : 301,632
Said "Thanks" 742 Times
Was Thanked 3,040 Times in 1,188 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 464 Times
Default Queso Fresco

I just realized that almost all of my recipes call for this, and yet I haven't posted how it's made! Queso Fresco is a staple of Latin American and some Spanish cooking, and it's something you can make yourself in the kitchen.

Kitchen gack that you will need

A large stainless steel stockpot
A collander
A weight

Ingredients

1 gallon whole milk
1 pint high-fat content cream (35% is good)
enough white vinegar to make it curdle (which is really not a lot)
salt, lots of salt

Ok, I have all that stuff. What do I do next?

Mix the milk and cream in the stockpot and scald it without boiling. Reduce the heat and add the vinegar, stirring constantly, and only adding as much vinegar as is necessary to clabber the milk (form curds). Keep stirring until the fluid in the mixture becomes clearish.

Remove the curds from the pot, strain them, and place them into a bowl. Salt the ever living daylights out of them - test a curd or two to see if you've got enough salt; if you don't, it won't taste too great. Once this is done, pack them into the collander, and place the weight on top to continue the draining process. The Queso Fresco is ready when no more water is coming out of it.

QF keeps for a couple of days in the fridge before it sours. You get about a pound of cheese out of a gallon of milk. Once you're confident with the process you can start flavouring the cheese - you can add cumin seeds or peppercorns at the salting stage, or add powdered herbs to the milk after it's scalded but before clabbering.
lorax is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To lorax
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors