View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 06:50 AM   #114 (permalink)
puggybw

Zone: 10
BananaBucks : 3,770
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Post ONLY if getting "Siam Red" from Agri-Starts

I'd like to address tlturbo:

I have read this forum pretty regularly for quite awhile, yes I did finally registered when the red Thai banana was offered. Frankly, there has never been anything posted that interested me enough to bother to register, just as with other gardening forums and forums regarding tropical plants etc.

The standard range of topics for these forums is "will my tropical plant grow in zone 4", "my sun and humidity loving tropical plant is not doing well in my dark living room with forced heat - why is that" and of course the common one. "gee it got to 25 degrees here last night and my tropical plant looks burnt".

Yes, there is a certain degree of sarcasm in the above paragraph, which is the reason I just don't respond, sarcasm doesn't come off very well in writing. Now, I don't fault anyone for wanting to grow whatever they do, wherever they do, but, it amazes me the lack of common sense and knowledge people use to try and grow something out of their climate.

But, in response to your comment, I did decide to post a topic, to which I have gotten a whole 3 replies. My personal opinion was it was a half ass okay question; afterall it is kinda hard to determine what kind of diameter a mature banana will have when all you are doing is staring at a small pup. Apparently though I was wrong that it is a dumb question that no one who grows any variety of bananas can answer - which of your plants has the thickest stems. So, I'll leave the more intelligent questions such as can my banana survive outside in Alaska, to the more knowledgeable folks.

It's kinda funny that both Agri-starts and Brian are "new" members as well and don't seem to have participated anymore in your lively topics. Whether I get a red Thai from Brian doesn't matter to me - he's just another potential source. I will find one sooner or later, be it from him or someone else. Here's the last time a red banana was offered on eBay, I am the losing bidder at $175. No signing up here for multiple names or fake names - you can see my id is the same here as is on eBay.
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=130035580919
You can also see, I'm not afraid to spend the money. In this situation though, the plant is not worth $500 to me when I already know it is in tc.

Continue to have fun ruling your perceived little kingdom.
puggybw is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To puggybw