View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 08:53 AM   #21 (permalink)
bepah
Freelance Botanoeconomist

Zone: 9b
Name: bepah
BananaBucks : 51,313
Said "Thanks" 25 Times
Was Thanked 220 Times in 122 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 406 Times
Default Re: Chiquita - An Awful Short History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael James View Post
Just 3 things I would like to say:
1. I've read Ecuadorean history from the U.S. Department of State & other sources, as well. Sorry Bepah, but the Ecuadorean people have done more to actively & violently protest corruption & affect political change than most any other country I've read about.
2. I've also read John Steinbach's "Grapes of Wrath". Nobody will ever find the truth on the Left or Right side of the fence (it's always somewhere between) but that & the history that follows clearly support the need for unionization; pacifism changes exactly nothing and, in fact, supports corruption & greed.
3. As a loyal American, I would take Extreme exception to the slaughter of fellow Americans simply because they seemed to stand in the way of a business.
4. I think Bob's got a point & I want more great nanners, too .

Okay, okay.... 4 things to say.
I guess I need to respond.....

1) Active and violent protestations of corruption is what does not work, as we are seeing. Participation in legal voting (what is the voting turnout, Lorzx?) by the people will have a much better result. My understanding is that among most of the Central and South American democracies is that most citizens do not vote. The true revolutionary is not a freedom fighter but an educator, helping people understand what changes need to be made.

2) Grapes of Wrath is a work of fiction.......

3) I would be upset as well if there was wholesale murder in this country. however, with the changes happening here, we may not be far from it, with the unemployment at decade high levels, summer heat, racial tension, etc. Our police in this country are not respected and they are outgunned...any riots we see in the future have the potential for extreme bloodshed. In fact, I am not upset, I am frightened at the potential this year.

4) More bananas for me too!

Thanks for the dialogue.