View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 07:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
bepah
Freelance Botanoeconomist

Zone: 9b
Name: bepah
BananaBucks : 51,306
Said "Thanks" 25 Times
Was Thanked 220 Times in 122 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 406 Times
Default Re: Chiquita - An Awful Short History

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorax View Post
This isn't a mind game here in Ecuador, Bepah. Please take this as a statement of fact from somebody who's been witnessing this on a monthly basis. The Chiquita and Dole workers, who are unionized, are still on strike until such time as a contract that will provide them a living wage is agreed upon. Until that time, both companies have been hiring scab workers at $5 a day which is actually $2 a day more than the striking workers were earning under their old contract. There is picketline violence every day, and because Chiquita can afford to pay off the cops and the government, it's the striking workers that are going to jail. Certainly in this case both the company and the government are at fault.

Some background: the current Ecuadorean LAW is $5 per hour minimum which is defined as the amount that people must be paid in order for them to afford the basic life necessities (food, shelter, clothing). Plantation workers, who are on 12-hour shifts, were getting far less than 1/12 of that, and the scabs are getting exactly 1/12. However, since Alvaro Noboa (who heads Chiquita in Ecuador) is politically very well placed, and is filthy stinking rich, he can stop most government inquest. Equally, since Bananas are a major component of Ecuador's economy, the government is loath to mess with them - even if just Chiquita shut down production for a month, we'd see something similar here to the US Great Depression.

Combine this with a violent opposition to any form of diversification (for example, the "specialty" bananas for export are also monocultured, rather than found in mixed-plantation) and you've got yourself a feudal system that is most likely not going to change any time soon.

I've said my bit. This infuriates me, because it is unjust and illegal, but there is little I can do about it save to continue buying my fruit and plants from smallholders.
You are supporting my point exactly. Unionization does not work, especially when the labor supply is so large. It seems pretty clear that when some of the workers refuse to work (via the strike), wages go up, as the supply of workers shrinks. It has nothing to do with smacking the union down, it is simply a supply and demand solution. Once the strike is over (if it ever is) the number of workers goes up and the wages go down.

My 'sweatshop' solution does not mean that there needs to be more banana processors, it mean that there needs to be more industry everywhere in other aspects of living. The skill level required for entry level work cannot be too demanding in the banana processors, the same for any entry level job. If the Ecuadorian government was truly interested in helping the working classes, they would be promoting investment in any industry that would generate jobs. from you post, you seem to imply that government officials are more interested in lining their own pockets that in the overall welfare of the people of Ecuador. This is the standard government corruption model that we see promulgated here in the States.

The unions of today are also interested in one thing, to line the union leaders pockets. Through the intimidation model, their own members are being hurt.

You have a real problem that will not be solved until such time that the government is there to support the populace. I hope it happens, but this country is going rapidly toward the SA model as well.

Consumers who choose to not consume those products (bananas, etc) are actually helping the companies/governments by reducing demand for the supply, which causes reduction in prices, hence the WalMart ability to charge so little, as the demand is weaker.

A little common sense goes a long way when it is used. While the situation is bad in Ecuador with little hope of solution, consumers boycotts have no positive impact as there are not enough people to participate and those who do not, benefit from the softer prices. Bananas are still going to be grown and sold, they are perishable....prices will adjust to meet the demand.

It is sad that these problems exist, but there are wolves out there, and the sheep are nervous.....since they have no tools to defend themselves.

Finally, with regard to my 'manufactured rage' comment. It is one thing to not agree with a practice and aver to the high heavens on how one feels; it is a much different thing to take things into ones hands and try to make a change. There are few people in history that have taken the risk of life and limb to try and affect change. They are called revolutionaries.

I am not unsympathetic to the situation, but I cannot make changes by posting on electronic forums and no one else can either. I hope thing settle for the better in Ecuador (as well as here).

Take care.
Said thanks: