View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 09:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Nicolas Naranja
Muck bananas

Zone: 10
Name: Nick
BananaBucks : 460,806
Said "Thanks" 66 Times
Was Thanked 5,663 Times in 1,562 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 7 Times
Send a message via AIM to Nicolas Naranja
Default Re: Wholesale Price of Bananas

My god certified producers?!?! Here in Florida, the right to sell alongside the road is practically enshrined in state law. If you are a producer you can get a free certificate which basically excludes you from all necessary licensing and agency harrassment. As such you often see people peddling shrimp, fish, steaks, and all manner of produce alongside the roadways...which reminds me that I need to go stock up on some Mangoes before their season ends. I am awaiting the return of black sapote season, I didn't discover that wonderful fruit until the end of last season.

To answer the question in this thread...$0.40/lb for cavendish, $0.90/lb for Nam Wah, Burro, Mysore and Manzano are somewhere in between those two. Apparently there is a pretty good market for the male flower of the banana in the Asian markets, but I'm not eally sure what it goes for but I wouldn't be surprised if it was at least $1/flower
Said thanks: