View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Lagniappe

BananaBucks : 245,837
Said "Thanks" 1,378 Times
Was Thanked 1,402 Times in 558 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 535 Times
Default Re: fertillizer in potted plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexizhere19 View Post
Thanks for the info, I generally dont care whether its organic or not, But some people try to avoid synthetics. I used well composted horse manure as a supplement to my mix at planting. I saw the cost of " black castings" at a local nursery and was shocked at the price for a small bag. I think its ridiculous considering all other sources of compost, more of a ploy towards people who want to be earth friendly. I believe if u had the time to farm worms and collect them yourself it could make it worth while.

alex
It's not a ploy at all. Castings are loaded with biology and are a great inoculate for soils and teas.
To get fresh castings, just find any container and throw in worms and food. They'll eat shredded paper, cardboard, rotten veggies, manure.....w/e
To harvest the castings, just feed on one side of the container, then switch to the other side. The worms will follow the food and leave the side that's been reduced to castings.

I sowed these adenium in 1/2" of castings and never got around to repotting them. I poked a hole in there with my finger to show the depth.
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Lagniappe