View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 11:54 AM   #27 (permalink)
Kalabrian

BananaBucks : 56,559
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 44 Times in 19 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: California-Croatia

The only varieties for 9, as said, are Carica Pentagona (babacus) and Carica Quercifolia (oak-leaved papaya). Both have fruits quite different from what is generally meant by "papaya". However they are worth a try.

I have some plants very small of quercifolia but searching for a babacus. I strongly suggest you to search one of these as ordinary papaya will have a though time there and you will make the poor plant suffer and suffer. I do not want to seem nasty, I am only saying, if you want to grow papaya you have to recover them inside the house in winter or you will lost them. Sorry but it is the sad truth.

Richard, I have a story concerning African papaya. Usually as you said is the less hardy. However I know a family from Seychelle who coming here to Calabria as immigrants brought back seeds of a Papaya which is popular at their location on the mountains. They did not tell me exactly but their description was that they lived in a very elevated place in Seychelles, while of course I am sure it was a frost-free still. In any case these papayas produce very well in their new home in Calabria and as far as now is the only case of such a successful production here. All other people have to cover papayas in winter even in the most warm frost-free areas. They instead do not cover the plants and have plenty fruit. They promised me seeds but I do not see them from a while now and I do not know right now how to contact them, as they live quit far from my home (200 km).

However it must be precised that the record low in their location in Calabria is something like 2 degrees C ABOVE the zero, which equals maybe to 35-36 F.

Peace to all
Kalabrian is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Kalabrian
Said thanks: