View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #33 (permalink)
supermario
Banana brain

Zone: 10A
Name: Mario
BananaBucks : 59,715
Said "Thanks" 251 Times
Was Thanked 348 Times in 139 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 4 Times
Default Re: The Future of Fertilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post
Doing the math, that is 88 bushels per acre. A commercial plot using those spawn of Satan chemical fertilizers should produce twice that. Sometimes over 200 bushels an acre. Are we going to mow down some more rain forest to double or triple our cropland? I wonder if I should invest in chainsaws or kerosene and matches?
LOL ..or maybe we should gather up the people who drive SUV's and force them to sell their land and cars in order to produce more crops!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. This thread has gone off topic wayyyy too many times, but to comment on the SUV issue...The people who drive the SUV's should never hold the blame because they DO have the right to drive whatever they like. The blame should fall on the automaking industry for not producing more efficient vehicles. The secret that oil will not last forever has been out the bag for quite a while.

Hopefully all cars will run on an alternative fuel source within my lifetime. Once we do convert to a society that does not depend on oil to commute, one could drive around a cement truck if they like. Agreed?

As for the "terra negra" argument.. keep in mind that they had to sustain a population much smaller than our current one. There are more people living in New York city alone.
supermario is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To supermario