View Single Post
Old 08-21-2005, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
bigdog

Zone: 8b
Name: Frank
BananaBucks : 730,697
Said "Thanks" 212 Times
Was Thanked 1,787 Times in 502 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 131 Times
Send a message via AIM to bigdog Send a message via MSN to bigdog
Default Some other variegated bananas here in Nashville, TN

Hello all, Frank from Nashville here (fglavin on Gardenweb). I wanted to post a few picture here of some variegated bananas at a nursery here in Nashville, TN. The name of the nursery is Blooms Nursery and Landscaping. He has several nice Ae Aes also. He also has lots of other variegated goodies there, including alocasia, monstera, shefflera, philodendron, yuccas, etc.

First up is a small, variegated high color mini. The last two leaves are spectacular, with the red being VERY blood red in sections. The white variegation seems to be holding up too, although isn't that bright of a white on the last two leaves. Still, a beautiful plant, and my favorite of the bunch!

Next up is a very small variegated dwarf orinoco, still holding up.

This is a variegated dwarf cavendish, and not a very good picture. Very hot day, and the leaves were folded up a bit. Still, a neat banana!

Here is a variegated musa sapientum 'Sweet Cream', being sold on the internet at Asiatic Nursery for $350 apiece. I'm not very impressed with this one, but maybe it'll start looking better as it matures.

This is the mythical 'Indonesian Ivory' banana. Proof here that it actually DOES exist. The owner is not very impressed with it, and neither am I. Supposedly it will show better variegation as it matures. I hope so! One of these sold for $500 on the internet once.

I should say that none of these will be available anytime soon. These are all solitary specimens in the owner's collection, on display at his nursery. He has a very nice butterfly greenhouse, with several Ae Aes planted in it. Here's the largest one.

bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bigdog
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors