View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 09:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Richard
un-Retired

Zone: USDA 10b
Name: Richard
BananaBucks : 500,314
Said "Thanks" 3,636 Times
Was Thanked 12,543 Times in 4,721 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,685 Times
Default Re: The Future of Fertilizer

Well thanks Cheryl, I would agree that a lot of corporate greed is present in the pasture to product chain: food is even more addictive than tobacco!

In the fertilizer part of the equation, the Canadian company Agrium is doing a good job of establishing a monopoly on some nutrient lines and will soon have the Scotts-MiracleGro Marketing company on its knees. My colleagues would sarcastically say that it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people. However, the rest of the suppliers would soon follow in the same position. Note that Agrium owns both the raw material supply lines and the wholesale distribution outlets (e.g., Crop Production Services).

And Lorax, I'm glad you reminded me of your experience with the Mennonite communities. It would be hard to find a lazy bone among them.

What concerns me in this thread though is our ability as people on the planet to sustain a food supply for the population. Note that even if we were as efficient as the Mennonites, have a longer growing season, and included our mechanization: we don't have the land, water, or economy to use low-percentage nutrients; i.e., "natural" methods. Nutrient recycling from sewage or some other means will be necessary. Also, you notice that serious population control measures will also be necessary. Well, of course there is always the alternatives of famine, disease, and war. I'd rather not go that route, especially to the tune of 3/4 of the world population.
Sponsors