View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
Richard
Retired.

Zone: USDA 10b
Name: Richard
BananaBucks : 1,241
Said "Thanks" 3,326 Times
Was Thanked 11,431 Times in 4,377 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,669 Times
Default Re: Timeline of Fruiting for Each Strain of Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio'sBest View Post
You would be surprised on what you can grow in a controlled environment. I am looking at a commercial strain that produces well so it offsets the total grow costs. So a fast well endowed fruiting is what I am looking for.
You will find them documented here: http://195.220.148.3:8013/mgis_2/homepage.htm
The best way to utilize the data is to provide an empty search string in "Accessions" and obtain the entire listing, then send the data to your computer by cut-and-paste, or "printing" to a PDF file, etc. The MGIS database does have search options for particular attributes but (1) it is poorly implemented and (2) the actual data is not input in a consistent manner -- so you will accidentally miss some entries.

There are about a dozen cultivars that will produce 150 lbs (gross) of fruit per inflorescence in a sub-tropical or near-tropical environment, with about the same gestation period given equal environmental factors. Among these, it is a matter of customer preference and taste.

Quote:
The most efficient lighting that I use is HPS, because of wattage used versus lumens produced.
Many commercial growers choose not to use HPS because it is too directional and more expensive per lumen in the long run than an array of T5 tubes.

Quote:
From my reading I understand that Bananas are heavy feeders, so Hydro would be very beneficial to them since your supplying everything to them.
Hydroponics does give you a lot of control over variables, but at some point the monitoring process and maintenance of supplement systems becomes time-intensive -- even with automated systems. It is more tractable to maintain the Ca, Mg, and Zn levels in a partial soil media -- for example 60% coir and 40% mix of mineral and organic soil materials.

Quote:
In other plants that I've grown, the root mass stays relatively smaller due to supply being so close.
Bananas are a corm, with networks of rhizomes and roots. At maturity, a semi-dwarf variety can burst the seams of a 1/2 barrel -- soil-less media or otherwise. Keep in mind that in bananas and other large fruits, fruit production is proportional to the volume of root structures.

Quote:
Also in Hydro the total time frame to mature is cut by 20-25%.
Perhaps in Ohio. There are plenty of counter-examples here in San Diego CA and elsewhere in the world.

9 million banana bucks and counting.
Frequently found at GrowingFruit.org
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Richard
Said thanks:
Sponsors