View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Richard
un-Retired

Zone: USDA 10b
Name: Richard
BananaBucks : 508,574
Said "Thanks" 3,636 Times
Was Thanked 12,543 Times in 4,721 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,685 Times
Default Re: California-Croatia

Ante,

Tony (Bananas.org - View Profile: sunfish), Jon (Bananas.org - View Profile: pitangadiego), and I are all growing bananas in San Diego. Jon is by far the most adventurous and experienced, with over 100 varieties in his front yard. We are all about 15 kilometers from the ocean. There is an almost constant on-shore (easterly) breeze of about 5 km/hour. However, several times a year there is also a weather phenomena that causes a very hot wind to blow off the continent out to the ocean (westerly) at about 60 km/hour for 1/2 to 3 days at a time. The three of us are close enough to the ocean that summer temperatures rarely exceed 35 C although we have plenty of days above 30 C. Our winters are cool with day time temperatures of 15-20 C and night time temperatures around 5 C. I am at a slightly higher elevation and have maybe 10 nights per year where the temperature is 1-2 C for a few hours. Two years ago we had an unusual freeze (once in 50 years) where the temperatures dropped to -2 C at my location for several hours. There are locations between my home and the ocean down in canyons (Rancho Santa Fe) where it freezes every night for weeks during the winter. Our annual rainfall is only 10-15 cm per year. Our humidity is also "upside down" for near-tropical plants: it is warm and dry (50-60%) during the day and cool (15-20 C) and humid (80-100%) at night. The cool-and-humid night time condition is ideal for many types of fungus infections on near-tropical plants, especially root rot.

The bananas I would recommend to you are:
Dwarf Brazilian
Dwarf Namwa
Sweetheart

For my own use, I am also growing:
African Rhinohorn
1000 Fingers
Dwarf Orinoco
Ty Ty Gold

And for nursery stock, I am growing another 20+ varieties.

Last edited by Richard : 07-06-2009 at 09:48 AM. Reason: types
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Richard
Said thanks: