View Single Post
Old 07-05-2009, 01:24 AM   #62 (permalink)
supermario
Banana brain

Zone: 10A
Name: Mario
BananaBucks : 59,759
Said "Thanks" 251 Times
Was Thanked 348 Times in 139 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 4 Times
Default Re: "Organic" Fertillizer

I understand your comments Richard and agree with you. No matter what we do, as long as we are doing things to please ourselves, that is who we are benefiting...ourselves. Not that it makes us terrible people..we just have to do things in moderation and with respect for our surroundings.

Organic...non-organic...just different results if you ask me. I've heard that some scientific studies suggest that using organic fertilizers is better because the ground will naturally sustain the trees in the long run. The studies do not, however, suggest that we are ingesting what we feed the trees. That is like saying we are eating cow manure because we till it into the soil.

I personally use compost for my veggies and man made fertilizers for my fruit trees. Why? It's simple. It's cheap for me to make a small amount of compost to feed my veggies. It is not cheap for me to make 100's of lbs of compost to feed my 18 fruit trees. Each tree is a different size, so some need more/less fertilizer more/less often. It's a matter of economics for me.

I can tell you right now. The peppers in my yard taste no different than the ones sold at the grocery store.My peppers are generally not as large and uniform as the ones at the grocery, but again, the flavor is identical. I think that If there is any difference in taste, it is in the mind of the taster. One feels a great sense of achievement producing their own produce, so that attributes to the "tastes better" phenomenon.

As for my fruits, they are better than the ones at the grocer.. not because of what I feed them, but because I am lucky enough to have varieties that aren't available on a commercial scale... much like the heirloom tomatoes I grow.
supermario is offline   Send A Private Message To supermario
Said thanks: