View Single Post
Old 07-04-2009, 04:47 PM   #58 (permalink)
turtile

Zone: 7a/b
Name: John
BananaBucks : 46,277
Said "Thanks" 34 Times
Was Thanked 181 Times in 108 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: "Organic" Fertillizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by conejov View Post
I think I understand what your saying, So wouldnt Making compost and worm castings be "earth friendly" if you make it on your own.

And yeah we are doing it for our selves. I want to make sure that I am not consuming synthetic chemicals in my edibles.

So what I was looking for Originally was non synthetic, natural fertilizers (worm castings, compost, blood meal.. and so on, things that are not to the my environment, pets and family.
I might be rambling now, but thank you for setting it straight for me Richard.
Making your own compost can be good and bad. Throwing leaves, pulled weeds, dead plants, lawn cuttings etc. in the garbage is a waste. Placing the material back to where it originated keeps replenishing nutrients.

If you stack a ton of this material in small space where water can drain through, it can potentially pollute the groundwater and nearby water ways with nutrients.

As for synthetic fertilizers, there is nothing different from synthetic nutrients and nutrients from organic sources. Anything we do will affect the environment. The fact is, you are changing the environment when you add any fertilizer regardless of the source. Improving the efficiency of our production is the best thing we can do.