View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 02:25 PM   #51 (permalink)
supermario
Banana brain

Zone: 10A
Name: Mario
BananaBucks : 59,476
Said "Thanks" 251 Times
Was Thanked 348 Times in 139 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 4 Times
Default Re: "Organic" Fertillizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Not long ago in a place known as your yard, nature took its course and a many species of life came and went. When humans arrived on the scene, the local ecology was changed dramatically. Perhaps it changed for the better of humans and some species, but it can hardly be called "earth friendly".

In my own yard, I have been very unfriendly towards the native environment. The increased water distribution to the soil has caused the proliferation of imported wildflowers which have crowded out and all but eliminated the local grasses. I have waged war with iron phosphate against the dominant animal -- slugs. The increased plant nutrients I have introduced to the soil have caused the imported plant varieties to flourish and I have systematically removed all but a few of the native Sumac shrubs. There is definitely an abundance of wildlife that now visits my property -- birds, pollinators, etc. but my actions have been very unfriendly towards the original local ecology.
Well stated and I agree with both of you. It just came across as if growing your favorite fruits is wrong. When you say we are hurting the environment, what comes to mind is illegal logging and poachers, but you are correct in saying that we all as individuals have changed our local ecology.

In genereal, I think us humans can be compared to parasites in the way we spread and completely disregard our "host". While some of us consume within our means, most of us overdo it.. Especially in this country, where we have the highest obesity rate. We need to produce bigger and more abundant crops in order to meet demand. Ergo, the hormone filled animals that we consume every day.

This is off the subject, but I can't help but remember that just a few days ago, I saw a 500lb man driving around in a scooter through a hotel. He had no problem walking around the poker room to see who was left, but wouldn't walk to the bathroom. He doesn't realize, much less care,that there are handicapped persons that genuinely need that transportation. It's a good example of some peoples general disregard for others and nature.

Again, doesn't directly relate to the "organic fertilizer" subject at all, but I feel it's relevant to the topic of us hurting our environment.
supermario is offline   Send A Private Message To supermario