View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 10:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
fergus banana

Zone: 5-6
Name: Jon
BananaBucks : 44,574
Said "Thanks" 12 Times
Was Thanked 51 Times in 26 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Height and Fruiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye5755 View Post
Hello everyone,
I am growing 2 Dwarf Cavendish and a Gran Nain plant. I am leaving them outdoors now, and bringing them into the garage under a 600 Watt Metal Halide/HPS system over the winter.

My primary goal is to get them to fruit. However after much reading I see that the Gran Nain for example can get 6-8 feet tall. I knew of this fact, but didn't get until recently that that height is the P-Stem and not how high the leaves reach. My garage is 10 ft tall, and i know you should keep at least 2-3 feet between the leaves and the light source.

So, I have a few questions. First, if I am growing it primarily for fruit, can I cut the leaves off that extend that high, and if so would that prohibit the plant from fruiting? Second, could I have the light source hanging at an angle, a few feet from the plants? Also, is it more important for the light to be hitting the leaves, or reaching all the way to the soil?

Lastly, so that I do not assume incorrectly, if I am simulating outdoor conditions in regards to light, humidity, and temperature, should I also water and fertilize as such?

Thanks for all of your help. This site has been a lifesaver so far! With the time and money I am spending on this, gotta make sure I do it right, or the wife will really let me have it!

i am growing my bananas indoors under 600W HPS as well. they have been growing under these lights for about 2 or 3 weeks. i run them 18 hrs and from what i have seen, they drink a lot and require a lot of fertilizer. i am still worried about overwatering and fertilizer burn, so i am slowly increasing the watering/fertilizing.

as far as the light source, you probably would have to angle them to keep from burning the leaves when the plants get too tall. i will be growing mine permanently indoors but since i just started i dont really know what to expect from the plants in the long run. i am hoping to get them to fruit by running them at 18hrs for several months, then switching to 12hrs to get them to fruit. for now they are growing well.
fergus banana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To fergus banana