View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 06:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
mikevan

Zone: 8
Name: Mike V.
BananaBucks : 15,483
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: When protecting musa-stems for winter....

that's a good plan. With the plastic covering it, I don't think there's a problem with the hay rotting - I use hay a lot here. Even if it rots some, it's just that much closer to becoming a very good mulch when you disassemble the setup - all of my nanners are mulched with hay already anyway. Leaves would be just as good, or both. Wood chips take longer to decompose so I avoid that in my mulch, personally.

Be well,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by wim View Post
I've followed a thread on another forum about using bark chips to protect plants during winter. Here is how it's done:

Make a cage of fence wire around the pseudostem. Make it wide enough so there is air between the PS and the wire +- 20 cm. Cover the wire with "vliesdoek" (felt cloth ?) it protects the plant from wind and rain, and will keep the bark chips in). Make another cage around the first one, with the "felt cloth" on the inside, keep a distance of 20-30 cm from the first cage. Fill the space between the first and the second cage with bark chips. Cover the whole with two layers of bubble plastic.

The "felt cloth" will protect the bark from getting wet, prevents it from falling trough the holes in the fence wire and allows wind to move through, thereby preventing rot.

The advantage is that the bark chips can easily be spread along the plants in spring, whereas straw, and the leftovers, can be as mess, especially when it is windy. Straw will also rot when it is wet, and collapse. Even wet bark chips won't collapse and the air chamber between the bark and the PS will prevent the PS from rotting.

I guess you can use whatever you prefer to fill it up: dried leaves, straw, ...
mikevan is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To mikevan