View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #42 (permalink)
Christian
Bananaswap

BananaBucks : 7,807
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 51 Times in 12 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: In Memoriam: Tog Tan

Tog asked me to get involved in Ladang Musacea - one of his current dreams, one which he was starting to realise. I was never quite sure what I could contribute, apart from the occasional seeds, but it was nice to be involved from far away. Like many others I was playing with the idea of visiting him in the not too distant future. I love traveling in East Asia, and I have never been to Malaysia. I have been to Thailand and Sri Lanka, and I am going with Phil to Taiwan this year. So I hoped that it would not have been too long before Malaysia would have become reality. I have in person already met two other members of this forum, and I was determined to also meet Tog.

It is very different meeting somebody in reality as to just talking to him by e-mail or on the forum. Maybe we would not have got on..., but Tog: I would have certainly given it a try!!!! :-)

I don't know how many people know that every month Tog was travelling to Thailand to pray to the Four Faced Buddha, something he promised to do till the end of his live.

Without him knowing, the deepest impression he left on me was not anything to do with plants, but about the value of giving. He gave freely, as some of us will have experienced. Of course he was delighted to also 'receive' ('greeding for stuff' as he called it in a funny way), but receiving was not what it seemed all about. Many people including myself are very focused on 'getting' things, but it is little compared with the inner peace one gets from giving. For this I will remember him.

I loved his 'Rocker' T-Shirt. I will keep that picture somewhere, so I will be reminded of him.

Christian
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Christian
Said thanks: