View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 04:23 PM   #30 (permalink)
CValentine
Prolific Epistemologist

Zone: 8b
Name: Che
BananaBucks : 151,155
Said "Thanks" 7,127 Times
Was Thanked 1,782 Times in 625 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 362 Times
Cool Re: We all have a story about how we got started, I'd love to hear yours!

((Sigh)) Where to begin...

It was a dark and stormy night...

I am an avid Home-schooling Mother of 5 children, aged 20(graduated, now college), 14(8th grade), 9(5th grade), 5(1st grade) & 3years old(PS).
My husband & I seek to educate in a highly interactive, hands on applicable based atmosphere.
These kids want to do everything, LOL! We just put in a NP205 into our old Ford, a double stick, new front & rear driveshafts...everyone got in on a piece of that!

In our never-ending quest to find new & interesting projects to teach the children, we decided to put in a garden, with something besides your standard plants.
I have always had an annual & perennial bed & roses...my husband has had his Salsa Garden, and general vege's...we needed something more exciting!!

So there we are...perusing the internet for exotic stuff to grow...and 'Voila!'...BANANAS!!!

The kids about lost their minds... The littlest loved the musa dasycarpa, she loves PINK!! (We aren't growing any currently & will look towards that in the future.)
We started researching what bananas would fit in & not overwhelm our little 1/3 acre plot, we have a strange layout & had the pool to consider. We have next to no East or North yard, most of our free space on the West side & the front of the House faces South with crappy water lines buried lines that we have to watch out for in front yard.
So we decided on the Dwarf Orinoco's based on their attributes(and our limitations), capable of growing in Zone 7, 4-6 ft. tall, a fruiting banana(yummy) & capable of being grown containerized.

And so it began...a journey into the unknown...

So here we are!!! Learning from the information here, and LOVING the interactivity & friendliness of the people here on the Forum!!

Have a great week-end All!! Enjoying the thread!! ~Cheryl