View Single Post
Old 10-23-2006, 07:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
JoeReal

BananaBucks : 407,077
Said "Thanks" 108 Times
Was Thanked 474 Times in 228 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 16 Times
Default Re: Banana database at bananas.org?

MediaHound,

I'm excited already! We could have special sections where we can add our actual experiences from our region. This would be the best and most useful compilation when you can find info that is suited to your area. Also the actual hardiness ratings which you cannot find from tropical research data. We need a special section for cold hardiness alone.

JoeReal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaHound View Post
We certainly do plan to have an extensive database of bananas here, it will be in such a format where everyone can edit the page and add their own information and experiences. This design is called a "wiki", from the Hawaiian term "waka waka", for "fast".
It's been discussed before. I've looked at a few solutions to implement this feature. I plan to integrate it smoothly with the bulletin board, to share the existing database of members, content, and photos, etc.
Your comments do not fall on deaf ears, I will try a bit harder to get this finally setup. And when I do, I hope to really impress everyone with the final product.
As for the content, I'll talk to my contact at INIBAP and see if we can use some of their database to populate ours. And, Joe, if you would like to contribute your db, it would certainly go to good use. I'll talk to Jon and see what he says about contributing his, too. It would be nice if Joachim would as well.
Then the rest of the content would have to be contributed by our members, and watched over by the rest of us for spelling, accuracy, relevance, etc.
If you've ever used Wikipedia, and are familiar with how their site works, ours would be very similar.
If everyone would post their ideas for the feature, what they would like to see included, all suggestions will be considered for inclusion. And if you have some data that you would like included in the first rollout, or if you know someone who does, please send me a private message so we can talk some more. We may need more helping hands to organize the content, merge paragraphs, etc. for the first rollout, so Gabe and I will decide on how we'll handle that, and if we need to take on some additional help to speed things up, we will.
Let's get this show on the road!

JoeReal is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To JoeReal