View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 04:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
proletariatcsp

Zone: zone 10
Name: Chris in FL
BananaBucks : 90,035
Said "Thanks" 148 Times
Was Thanked 186 Times in 83 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: Stalks splitting/separating

Quote:
Originally Posted by just j View Post
well thats not the reason at all with mine the high winds and rain is what did it
J, sorry I didn't mean to discredit your post. And like yourself, I too would like to find out what the cause of the problem is. Perhaps there are numerous contributors including wind, rain, salt, moles, etc. I only know that my Ice Cream made it through the outer-bands of two hurricanes passing up the coast last year and the leaves never popped off. So far this year, we haven't had any tropical systems, which leads me to believe the banana popped its leaves as it emerged from its first over-winter. It is definitely hard to say because my bananas never stopped growing through winter, however.

One thing I do know is that my SDCav is only 10" and it popped 4 leaves when it began growing again. The leaves are still green and healthy but a good distance away from the psuedostem. The funny thing is, it does not receive any direct sun, wind, or rain. Leaf popping is ,indeed, quite an enigma.

Chris P.

Last edited by proletariatcsp : 06-02-2009 at 05:39 PM.
proletariatcsp is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To proletariatcsp
Said thanks: