View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 07:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
bigdog

Zone: 8b
Name: Frank
BananaBucks : 733,217
Said "Thanks" 212 Times
Was Thanked 1,787 Times in 502 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 131 Times
Send a message via AIM to bigdog Send a message via MSN to bigdog
Default Musa itinerans 'India Form' has come back

While not as hardy as var. itinerans, this one is still very hardy. We had a true zone 7a winter here, with a low of 3F. The largest pseudostem was protected by a bag of leaves lying on top of it. The other two were not, and weren't even mulched, and they came back also! That was surprising, when looking in the holes that they left and expecting to find mush, instead I found a growing point. The first few leaves have come out somewhat yellowish, but hopefully that will change with some fertilizer and more heat.

Oh yeah...yes, that is bamboo coming up smack dab in the middle of the bed! It's my Phyllostachys nigra clump, leaping this year.

Think I should move the Musa itinerans bed, or just let them coexist for awhile?

The leaves may be a bit yellowish, but they still have that gorgeous red midrib!

bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bigdog
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors