Thread: Europe Trade
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #79 (permalink)
Jack Daw
I think with my banana ;)

Zone: Dfa (Köppen-geiger) <-> 7b/8a? (USDA)
Name: Jack
BananaBucks : 209,266
Said "Thanks" 2,771 Times
Was Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,355 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 383 Times
Default Re: Europe Trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by maesy View Post
Yes, let me hear your opinion.
The first time I over wintered bare rooted I lost many types because the temperature was maybe too long between 0 and 5 degrees, but never below.
The only one that survived without problems was musa sikkimensis.
They usually rot from the inside out just above the corm.

Marcel
Well, Marcel, I basically want to adapt some of the technologies our (Slovak) nurseries do, when they want to impress the buyer in spring with already nicely bloomig plants with quite a strong growth.

The small trees (up to 2,5 meters) are put out of the soil for winter and moved into dark position. Their roots are never bare, as it would slow the growth early in the growing season and the plants would possibly lose the blooming time. This soil element is important, because when properly done, it can speed the plant in the spring by almost 3/4 of the winter reconvalescence time (not like potting, a little soil, just to enough to cover the basic root bulb).

Basically, they take some bag made off hard materials with tight sowing (difficult to cut through) and they put the roots inside (in soil ! ). Watering is regular, every month (but in case of bananas, it should be in much smaller amounts, if at all...). The bag lets water go away.

This way, the plants may start growing, if the temps are ideal, very soon.

Maybe the temperatures were too low (10°C and more) and maybe you just had bad luck... Dunno, will try this new method.

Zeitgeist - Corporatocracy 101 (~2hrs)

Zeitgeist - Moving Forward (~2.5hrs)
Jack Daw is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Jack Daw