View Single Post
Old 05-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #27 (permalink)
organicprojim

Zone: 9-10
Name: Organic Jim
BananaBucks : 4,344
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: "Organic" Fertillizer

I have been growing verything with organics for a number of years now and find that I am getting very high quality fruit with all of the nutrients they are supposed to have. For fertilizer I have ended up using fish hydrolysate made from catfish by MegaGreen. Great stuff. I use it with a complete natural soil amendment called Truf & Garden Pro made by TurfPro USA along with kelp to complete the nutrient package with its high potassium content. Kelp is hard to get but much higher in potasium than the 'Sea Weed' products mostly find on the market. I mix it four parts fertilizer to 1 part soil amendment to 1/4 part kelp.
This fertilizer has amino acids in it bsides the N-P-K where the T & G Pro has many trace elements along with a great asortment of soil biology. Laboratory test have shown that it can inhibit fusarium wilt in the soil along with having nitrogen fixing biology. The kelp besides giving me my potasium adds more of the trace elements required for growth.
Several times a year I use the Turf & Garden Pro with Iron by itself as a foliar spray.
When planting new banana plants I mix in some Turf Pro dry fines to raise the biology count and to further protect against soil pathogens.
I have never had to use any pesticides or fungicides so my soil is very healthy and the bananas grow the way I want them.
Not for everyone but it makes me feel that I am helping to protect my family, the envirnment, my pets and wildlife.

organicprojim is offline   Send A Private Message To organicprojim
Said thanks: