View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #32 (permalink)
supermario
Banana brain

Zone: 10A
Name: Mario
BananaBucks : 59,476
Said "Thanks" 251 Times
Was Thanked 348 Times in 139 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 4 Times
Default Re: Surprise Texas Star Banana shipment from Ty Ty Nursery

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyc View Post
Mario, we've had other threads to laugh at TyTy's site and photos. They do have a variety called Texas Star widely-reputed to be quite cold hardy which you won't see Don offering at Going-Bananas. Ty Ty is well known for shipping incorrect varieties, etc., but Chong took a chance and seems to have done well here. He also has comments in the Veinte Cohol thread which makes it clear his experience with Going-Bananas was not as good as he would have liked, though it's clear they do have a good reputation. In my opinion, Pine Island is not a very good choice for those that live in areas that require a phytosanitary certificate. The fee there is $50 and Pine Island assesses an additional fee of 50% of the plant cost to clean up the plants so that they will pass inspection. I'd rather look at ridiculous photos than have my money taken from me like that.
Well stated. I personally am willing to pay a little extra to make sure that I get a quality product. What is cheap now, will cost you more in the long run.

I don't have to worry about the phyto, but I know it costs at least $35. Why Pine Island charges a little extra, I don't know...but, their feedback speaks for itself. When you compare the feedback of the two companies, I would not consider the extra investment a waste of money...more like insurance. Also, the PI site is informative and well put together.

I find it hard to believe that TyTy is the only source for the banana you are looking for. I received a mystery plant that was supposed to be a manzano from bananatree.com (another company with a bad reputation, but not the wonderful photos) If you like to gamble, give them a try.. I believe they are based in PA. I'm sorry I could not be more helpful.
supermario is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To supermario
Said thanks: