View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 06:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
Jack Daw
I think with my banana ;)

Zone: Dfa (Köppen-geiger) <-> 7b/8a? (USDA)
Name: Jack
BananaBucks : 208,661
Said "Thanks" 2,771 Times
Was Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,355 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 383 Times
Default Re: The cold hardiness of Hajaray hybrid and hills bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
USDA hardiness zones work at any latitude because they are only concerned with average minimum low temperature.

Note that USDA zones are not climate zones. For that you need something more serious, such as the Sunset Garden zones.
One more thing on this topic. Pahari Kela and others are Hill bananas. Meaning, that they need hill like conditions, not a lowland.. they won't perform well therefore in the lower based places.

Then if we should consider that India is Tropical or subtropical, we wouldn't be succesfully growing a variety of Trachycarpus palms all over the Europe (Even Scandinavia). Once you get from India to the region that has something to do with Himalaya, the conditions change a lot.

Even in my country - 10 km from Carpathian mountains oaks grow freely and widely, whereas the only small factor of 300 meters above the sea level in the hills seems to make such a big difference, that there are no oaks at all.

I now posses several Pahari Kela, I will give it a try and let you all know.

Zeitgeist - Corporatocracy 101 (~2hrs)

Zeitgeist - Moving Forward (~2.5hrs)
Jack Daw is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Jack Daw