View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
proletariatcsp

Zone: zone 10
Name: Chris in FL
BananaBucks : 90,335
Said "Thanks" 148 Times
Was Thanked 186 Times in 83 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: Saba Leaves looking a little funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Bananas View Post
Just wondering if it could be some type of fertilizer burn(I used some of last years stuff that was mankey looking).

I don't know of black sig in SC, yet. Tomatoes get fusarium, but only in late summer. I will get some Copper sulfate and try that anyway.

Not to sound like a broken record, but. . .

When bananas are lacking vital minerals and minor elements they become much more susceptible to Sigatoka. I would imagine leaf injury in general, including wind, over fertilization, or prolonged root saturation would all increase susceptibility to the disease. I suppose that is why copper is ultilized before signs of Sigatoka? Either way, I will use fungicide on any future planting material in an attempt to get a head start on the disease, especially now that I know Sigatoka seems to be lurking in our midst.

I haven't heard of any Black Spot that far north either. My theory is that I possibly infected my bananas after handling fruit from the grocery store. I say this because the wild bananas in my area do not have any bacterial spots.
proletariatcsp is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To proletariatcsp