View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
turtile

Zone: 7a/b
Name: John
BananaBucks : 46,277
Said "Thanks" 34 Times
Was Thanked 181 Times in 108 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: "Organic" Fertillizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula View Post
Can you crush potassium pills up and put around your plants someone told me to use around my tomatoes, If so how much and what plants can I do this to?
Thanks Paula
You could but you would be wasting your money. My multivitamins have potassium chloride in them which is the cheapest and most common form of potassium fertilizer used for plants.

I use potassium sulfate on my plants which contains both potassium and sulfur. Tomato plants need much more sulfur than chlorine. If you apply either potassium sulfate or potassium chloride on your tomatoes, you should apply an equal amount of magnesium sulfate (Epsom Salts) as the high potassium can cause a magnesium deficiency in the plants.

Also remember to apply calcium which is very important to prevent blossom end-rot. Gypsum is a good fertilizer to use. It must be incorporated into the soil since it doesn't move around much in the soil. Only the calcium present right around the root will be taken up. High nitrogen fertilizer should never be used while the plants are flower/fruiting.