View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
adrift

Zone: 9a
Name: KJ
BananaBucks : 17,510
Said "Thanks" 625 Times
Was Thanked 197 Times in 87 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 422 Times
Default Re: banana comparison

I am sympathetic to your question. I, and a few others, posted last fall or winter for recommendations of the top 10 or so bananas to have (for various conditions). With a finite amount of space it isn't rewarding to have four varieties that are nearly identical except for the shape of the seeds. I would rather have a diverse collection. One with a black pstem, one glaucous, one pink, one that holds its leaves high, one with fat paddle blades, etc. It would be nice to have someone say, "the chartreuse color and low habit of xyz make it a good companion planted in front of the tall, red tinged abc."

However, on the sunburn and cold damage, I have to think that you are not looking at all the variables. SDC does OK here under Florida sun. If you got burn up in Ohio, you didn't give it time to adjust. It has been posted here that all the Cavendishes take it tough under cold conditions. My DC & SDC will have severe cold burn when my Ice Cream is unblemished. But we went down to 25-27 degrees the last 2 winters and the in ground Cavendishes all came back. True, all lost their leaves, but some came back from the pstem, others came back from the corm with no more protection than the ~ 2" of pine bark mulch they have year round. The only in-ground loss I had last winter were a newly planted African Rhino horn and a newly planted Williams Hybrid. Would they have made it if they had more time to become established? Don't know. Why yours would decline after repeated 40 degree temps is a mystery. But I have learned that corms/roots don't like rapid temperature changes. Nor do they like hot roots. Warm = good. Hot = bad.