View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ueberwinden
Ueberwinden

Zone: 6
Name: Mike
BananaBucks : 46,761
Said "Thanks" 23 Times
Was Thanked 158 Times in 86 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Ueberwinden
Default Re: The correct hardiness of Musa basjoo

I taught a class at the extension office this past March, and one of the people that was in attendance was one of the gardeners for the Creation Museum in Peterburg, Ky. They were able to testify that their Basjoo's come back every year, and appear to be stronger each year. We are a zone 6, and I would say a cold zone 6. We reached -4 one day this past winter. In 2003 we recorder a -13 temp, so we do dip down rather cold but it isn't every year. We are actually warmer now than I can remember as a kid growing up in the 70's and early 80's. We use to get tons of snow every year and it would line the streets in piles for weeks. In the early 70's the Ohio river froze over because we remained right around 0 for over a week. I can remember people walking across the ice from Ohio to Kentucky. My kids really don't know what it is like to ride a sled because we don't get enough snow for that. They know tube riding and those discs that you can ride in minimal snow fall. I have quite a few friend here locally who grow Basjoo's also and have no problems with theirs either.

Michael