View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tog Tan
Ensete nut

Name: Tog
BananaBucks : 431,473
Said "Thanks" 1,011 Times
Was Thanked 2,723 Times in 787 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 204 Times
Joy Thought Provoking Germination!

Rite....most people have their ways of germinating sds using methods which have been tried over and over. I have discovered 2 new methods by chance!

Incident #1
Look closely and you will see some of the sds have germinated.

Since I have a big bunch of extra sds of the Musa corneri collected for germn, I decided to try something crazy. I bagged up some 1,000+ sds moist to see if they have a natural resistance to fungus and left it on top of my work table. After 2+mths, instead of fungus, I had some of them germinating in the ziploc bag! There was enough moisture to get a couple of the stronger embryos up!
The day temp was around 90F and night time was high 70F with the air cond on.

Incident #2
Pix-1 : I was shocked to see sdlgs in a sealed deli cup coming up from broken fruits!

Pix-2 : Angle from above. Liquid is the juice from the fermenting old fruits.

Pix-3 : Close up of the sdlgs on the broken fruit removed from the deli cup. Mind you, the sdlgs came from the center of the fruit!

For the life of me, I just cannot remember what species this is. I had put a couple of broken ripen fruits in a deli cup and totally forgotten about them as there were loads on junk on top of it. When I was cleaning up the place some 2 mths later, I found some sdlgs have germinated through the cracks of the fruit! Some fungus was present on the peel but it did not affect the health of the seedlings. So what is the talk about the natural germination inhibitors and sterile conditions?
The daytime temp was 90+F during the day and about 80F at night.

Come and give some of your views and you will hear some from me. Let's have a good laugh about all the fuss on proper germination!

____
Tog Tan has sadly suddenly passed away 6/16/09. We will miss you Tog Tan.
Tog Tan is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Tog Tan
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors