View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Extreme Bananas

Zone: 6-7
Name: Ed
BananaBucks : 22,349
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default The correct hardiness of Musa basjoo

This may have been discussed before. I did a search but did not find anything on this particular topic. My apologies if this has been hashed over.

Has anyone ever successfully carried over a Musa basjoo in areas that got to 20, or more, degrees below zero with just a mulch cover of 3 or 4 inches? If the answer is no, then Basjoo is not hardy to Zone 4 or 5, and probably Zone 6. A plant's hardiness is its ability to survive an average winter low temperature. It is not based on covering with five lawn bags filled with leaves, or covering with a wooden box with an electric blanket or light bulb inside. While it is often described as hardy to Zone 4/5, WITH PROTECTION, the extensive protection required is not a normal practice. You have to be a nanner lover to make the effort. Most gardeners would let them freeze. And another requirement that I have seen is that the Basjoo should be at least three feet, or so, tall with an established root system in the ground. This is another mark against a Zone 4/5 hardiness. Plant height should not be a factor in hardiness.

I have once seen Basjoo's hardiness listed as Zone 7. This is probably more correct than the usual Zone 4 or 5. The correct listing should probably be "Hardy to Zone 7 and to Zone 4 or 5 in well-drained areas with extensive winter protection measures". But the usual is "World's Hardiest Banana Plant...25 Degrees Below Zero". Is this a marketing ploy?

I would really like to know if anyone has carried over a Basjoo with winter temperatures of 5 or 10 below zero with just a mulch layer of 3 or 4 inches. Apparently the goal is to keep the ground, and the root mat, from freezing. I would like to have a bunch of Basjoos in the yard but don't want to fill up and cart around 50 big lawn bags of leaves.

Ed
Extreme Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Extreme Bananas

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors