View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
damaclese
Living in Exile

Zone: 9 Mediterranean climate
Name: Paulo
BananaBucks : 282,641
Said "Thanks" 1,352 Times
Was Thanked 1,620 Times in 706 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 101 Times
Default Re: Compost nutrients

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Hi folks, I'm sure the answer to this is somewhere on this site, but I can't for the life of me find it.

Here goes, I grow my nanas both ensete and musa in pots. The ensetes are showing signs of nutrient deficiency, or at least that's what I think it is. Leaves turning yellow around the edges, especially my ventricosum. I would like to test the soil for NPK, but need to know what the ideal level should be. I'm also suspecting that the pH is somewhat wayward, what should this be ideally and how do I adjust it, it will be on the high side as I live in a hard water area and they have been watered with tap water all winter...oops.

Any help would be greatfully received.
J Ev's like a some what alkaline soil what type of firt are You using also EV do not like to be wet let them dry out completely before watering and don't spray the foliage they get crown rot they are notorious for going south in high humidity don't do well in places like Florida and such have you applied any micros to them they need it just like you and me did you plant them in a well draining soil if not id re-pot them using a heavy dose of vermiculite or any type that adds drainage and i would like to say this is of course my opinion but tap water is perfectly fine for watering plants as long as its not contaminated and if it was i don't think it would be coming out of your tap. Besides do you really want to keep a plant thats that so fragile that you have to go to extremes to keep it alive EV or not one of those plants

damaclese is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To damaclese