View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 09:27 AM   #39 (permalink)
Tog Tan
Ensete nut

Name: Tog
BananaBucks : 430,470
Said "Thanks" 1,011 Times
Was Thanked 2,723 Times in 787 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 204 Times
Joy Re: Weird Food - Care to share?

Boy, am I enjoying this thread.... Somebody should give it a rating in the interest of culture exchange!

Ken ; What you cooked with the mixed meat is the typical food of the Isan (pronounced E-sarn) region of Thailand. This place is the worst place in Thailand and probably one of the worst in the world. The soil is poor and everything is bad. In order to populate and have it developed, the Kingdom of Siam, in the olden days sent all the exiles there. It also included the bad guys, witches and so forth. That place is their only chance to start over again instead of rotting in prison or facing the death penalty.
Since Isan is such a bad land, they ate whatever they could to stay alive and have since developed a very unique cuisine of whatever that's available.
They will cook whatever at hand and nothing is ever wasted. Here are some of the more interesting examples of the stuff I have eaten from there;

B-b-q cow's teats - Whoa! Like chewing gum with a milky flavor. Goes with a very nice and spicy dip.

Marinated Raw beef and liver - Pretty tasty if you are not squeamish. Just don't let the blood put you off. Highly spicy.

Fermented Vege - A cow has 4 stomachs, rite? The vegetation is taken out from the 3rd one before it becomes turd. It is stir fried and is bitterish. You won't die if you don't think its turd!

Mixed soup - Very little traces of meat (cos hardly available) but all you can think of in a cow, pig and goat. It is spicy and crunchy and squashy, weird combo of soft and hard parts and the mixed flavor of the various meats.
It's very much a Tom Yam kind of soup, spicy.

All sorts of insects : I will come to this later.

Bob, Pat - Lutefisk? You guys like soy sauce? Do you know what is fish sauce? It is way beyond soy sauce in taste and once you have tried it, you won't go back to soy sauce. Know how it is made? It comes from fish fermented (this is a kind word), or rotted in earthen jars. Meaning the death juice of the fish. But it's very fragrant. I will come to another similar Lutefisk thingy from here later.

Pat - Eating monkey brains was an in thing and no longer in vogue. I don't think much of it and haven't the desire to try it. The actual procedure is this; a monkey is strapped to a high chair and then the head goes thru a piece of wood with a hole just enough for it to protude. The scalp and then the skull is skillfully knock off while the darn thing is still alive. Herbal rice wine is poured on the area and the *******s eat it off with spoons. Bloody stupid.

You are right about mutton stinking but that's all we get here. In fact, prior to getting decent mutton, local goats were eaten. Strong in smell though tasty, that's where the spices comes in. It knocks off the odour and what not and also help to tenderize the meat. Spice plays a big part in Malay and Indian cooking. The Chinese use a lot of herbs.

Come guys, more..... Lovin' it! Now I am finding out what weird things White folks eat!

____
Tog Tan has sadly suddenly passed away 6/16/09. We will miss you Tog Tan.
Tog Tan is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Tog Tan