View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 11:07 PM   #34 (permalink)
Patty in Wisc
tropical nut

Zone: 5
BananaBucks : 336,159
Said "Thanks" 2,946 Times
Was Thanked 2,510 Times in 1,203 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 69 Times
Default Re: Weird Food - Care to share?

Bob, what is 'Lutefisk'?
Also, I never buy "fresh" octopus here as I know it cannot be fresh! I've seen it fresh in the mart but it has to be leftover from day before I assume (if they didn't sell it then) & originally thawed out.
I buy frozen, thaw it & then clean the head out. Then simmer for 20-30 min depending on size. Turn off heat & let it set for few minutes & put cold water in & rinse. Cut into bite size pieces. Sometimes I cut extra fat off (seems like fat to me). I make a It. dressing of half olive & half canola oil, vinegar (reg & sometimes w/cider vin, wine vin etc), italian seasoning, bay leaf, lemon juice, salt, pepper & lots of chopped onion. Let it marinate overnight - although I sneek some to taste test before.
Eat it as is or on a lettuce salad.
Caloosa, there is a diff between mutton & lamb. Mutton is older lamb & it smells bad...it STINKS. Lamb is much milder & tastes better. Get young lamb... YUM. Oooh, leg of lamb on grill!
Monkey Brains??!!
Reminds me of "Hannibal"...when he was eating someone's brain right out of his skull. So did Johnny Mathis with monkey brain!!!!!
I was young & remember seeing him on Johnny Carson show & he said he went to a country to perform (don't know where) & the HOT thing to eat was monkey brains. He said he ordered it in a restaurant. The skull was cut so he could eat it right out of the skull & it had to be served fresh (meaning they just killed the monkey).
Tog, I'm sure you know if this is true...I'm sure it is, cuz I think Johnny Mathis is too stupid to not keep this to himself. Great voice but no brains -- why he was eating them..to get some for himself! I think he lost lots of good popularity because he mentioned this. I have not seen him on any talk shows since! He said 'A lot of ppl won't like this , but....'
Some of you would be surprised what some of our markets sell. In Mexican & black side of town, cow tongue, chicken feet, pig feet, cow brains, bull nuts, whole pig heads, pig & cow intestines & I can't remember others. No insects or bugs though.
Ya know, ppl in China are prolly more healthy than us Americans as we tend to be obese (I am not) because of Krispy Creme donuts & too many sweets & junk foods!
Thanks for starting this Tog...interesting & fun!!

____
Patty in Wisc has sadly passed away 9/05/11. We will miss you Patty.
Patty in Wisc is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Patty in Wisc
Said thanks: